Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Magic as both a Science and an Art

If you know me personally, you would probably ask me to do some "magic tricks" for you.  Yes, you guess that right.  I know how to perform some magic.  But I don't want to call it "magic tricks" because I never consider magic as a trick.  Magic to me is both a Science and an Art.


Magic as a Science

Some magic requires the magician enough knowledge about Science.  Just imagine if the magician miscalculated the right proportion of of gun powder.  I'm sure things will look really messy on stage.  Just imagine if that happens.  Funny but sometimes, tragic.

One of the deadliest acts in magic is the bullet catching.  Many magicians were injured in this act and a few were already dead performing it.  Why did those unfortunate magicians die while catching the bullet?  Simply because they miscalculated.  Their simple miscalculation caused their lives.

Safety is a primary concern in magic considering that it is a Science.  As I told you earlier, Magic is a Science.




Magic as an Art

Magic will be boring if no Art is incorporated in the act.  The stage is lovelier if there are dancing assistants, colorful banners, and a lot more.  Magic is an art because it showcases the talent not only of the magicians, but also their assistants.

Like playing a guitar, Magic also requires constant practice.  Most magicians I know practice a lot.  They practice with mirrors, trusted friends, assistants, and more to mention.  If you want to become a magician, you need to practice.

Dai Vernon, called the Professor and one of the most respected magicians and mentors in the magic community, said that if you know one magic effect, practice it over and over and over again, and people will remember you for it.  Magic is an art and it requires you to do some serious practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment